County Clerk & Election Officer
Email: Diana Svanda
214 C Street, Washington, KS 66968
Hours: 8:00 to 5:00
Monday through Friday
Duties of County Clerk
- Secretary to County Commissioners.
- Process accounts payable for all county departments.
- Process county payroll and prepare all necessary reports.
- Balance daily, monthly, quarterly and yearly with the County Treasurer.
- Maintain personnel files.
- Maintain copies of current county policy and job descriptions.
- Record transfer of ownership from all land transactions.
- Maintain a file of all real estate by address, legal description and name.
- Issue fish and game licenses, big game permits, and stamps.
- Work closely with all county departments.
County Election Clerk
- Voter Registration Site.
- Maintain Registration Database.
- Generate voter registration list and reports.
- Accept filings for public office.
- Make available advanced voting in the office 20 days prior to every election.
- Prepare elections results and meet with the County Board of Canvassers.
- Certify election results to the public and Secretary of State.
- Combine all valuations for each tax district and certify values to each tax district and the state.
- Assist with preparation of township, cemetery and fire district budgets and annual reports.
- Compute all tax levies and prepare levy sheets.
- Repare real estate, personal property, intangibles and state assessed tax roll and certify to County Treasurer for collection.
- Prepare Homestead and Food Sales Tax returns.
- Issue moving permits.
- Maintain tax unit maps of the county.
- Balance and certify distribution of motor vehicle taxes to the County Treasurer.
- Assist and work with City Clerks